Tuesday 2 June 2015

Spooks - no, not a horror film

Not been going to the cinema as much recently as I normally do, but I did get to the Reading Showcase on Sunday afternoon a few weeks age to see Spooks: The Greater Good.  Aka - Spooks.  This is the film version of the popular BBC TV series Spooks, hence I guess the reason for the The Greater Good tagline to differentiate it from a normal episode of the TV series.

I am reliably informed that Spooks is in fact the Harry Pearce Show.  I.e. the one constant character throughout the whole series is Harry Pearce, and the plot of the entire series essentially boils down to Harry Pearce always being right.  Normally this sort of Mary Sue author avatar character (see also 1d4chan on this matter) is a symptom of desperately lazy writing, and over the course of an entire TV series I could see it becoming grating, over the course of 100 minutes of film adaptation though it's more than passable.  Also I didn't know Harry Pearce was going to be right until the end when I was informed of the fact - which made the film much more interesting I'll wager.

Perhaps more interesting than the film itself was the appearance of Kit Harrington as ex-agent Will Holloway, the man who Harry Pearce parachutes in to do the leg work while he skulks under cover working out the plot from afar.  Harrington has of course become famous because of his role as Jon Snow in the outstanding Game of Thrones, and as with all such actors it's always interesting to see what they do next.  Harrington was ideally-cast in Game of Thrones because of his obvious looks and grim demeanour, whether he ends up carving himself a niche as an action cliché in the silver screen mainstream remains to be seen.  Here he does well enough, staring darkly in the mid-distance when required and generally being mysterious.

Overall Spooks: The Greater Good is clearly a film that was made because the BBC wanted to exploit some of its IP to generate a bit of income.  And good luck to them.  This isn't I film I think many people will be remembering for its plot in the months and years to come, fun though it is as a diversion.

No comments:

Post a Comment