Wednesday 7 January 2015

Films of the Year - 2014

Got a couple of films in right at the end of 2014 last week, but they weren't good enough to make it into my top 5.  Once again I'm taking some liberties with my definition of 2014 - after all I'm not a proper film critic, so I don't have to do it properly!

5 - The Grand Budapest Hotel

The best thing Ralph Fiennes has been in for ages.  It's funny, anarchic and makes just enough sense to keep you paying attention even for people who might get frustrated by Wes Anderson's method of story-telling.

4 - 12 Years a Slave

Deservedly walked away with a bunch of Oscars in the 2014 awards season, this film is a landmark in telling the story of industrialised slavery in the USA.  The film deserved its Best Picture Oscar, and Michael Fassbender should have got one too for his role as the sadistic slave-owner Edwin Epps.

3 - The Babadook

Mark Kermode's film of the year is third on my list.  Didn't see many horror films this year, but this was clearly a long way ahead of a pack consisting more and more these days of bland shock-horror.  It's part psychological thriller and part horror, but it's tense, edgy, looks dark and intimidating and tells a simple story extremely well.

2 - The Imitation Game

It's an anti-establishment film about maths.  How could I not love it?

1 - Her

Technically from 2013, but I'm putting it in my 2014 list because it was up for Oscars in 2014 (and won for Best Original Screenplay).  Her is a classic science fiction story, a brilliantly told story in a world that is brilliantly created and realised.  In my review I described it as Solaris for the modern age, and I think that as time passes more people will come to agree with me.  Film of the year - easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment