Tuesday 16 August 2011

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I was tired of this film the first time I understood the premise. The idea is thus: imagine if you were born old and lived your life in reverse. So you emerge from the womb as a shrivelled and tiny old man, then grow progressively younger until 70 years time when you shrink to the size of a baby and drop dead. It's an idea that sounds interested as a science fiction short story, but a 160 minute Hollywood film? I'm not so sure.

Though heavily nominated at the Oscars, but winning in only the technical categories (deservedly so though for make up and special effects), watching the film didn't make me feel any better about it. It has no story, no plot and - weirdly for a film about someone's life - no real arc. If anything I think the point (and I'm assuming there's meant to be a point as this is a David Fincher film) is that you're only as old as you think you are. Or maybe that it's never too late to do what you want. Unless you break your leg; or get dementia that is. Maybe the point is that life is just life, and you never know what's going to happen. Some people get all the breaks, others don't and that's just the way of the world. Well I knew that already.

Despite some amazing make up effects and Cate Blanchett giving a top performance (as ever), I found little of interest in this film. The make up effects really are impressive though, Blanchett looked every bit a 16 year old girl or a 60 year old woman. I couldn't work out at what point in the film we were actually at the actress' real age. Not worth the 2.5 hour investment though.

No comments:

Post a Comment