Friday 6 May 2011

Unstoppable - There's a train, it's unstoppable

On my way out to Jordan last week I had the usual chance to watch some films on the tiny 6" screen provided in the back of the head of the person in front. My normal approach to film selection on a flight is to go for something that I would never normally dedicate my time to watcing otherwise. Hence Unstoppable.

The first time I saw the trailer for Unstoppable it appealed to the child-like action fan that hides inside my head and rarely gets out. The plot is the most simplistic action fluff anyone could come up with - there's a train and it's unstoppably heading for a populated area. Denzil Washington is in a race against time to stop it before it can kill thousands. Who can ask for anything more than that? Sadly though I couldn't find anyone willing to put their brain on ice long enough to come to the cinema with me (and I certainly wasn't going to pay £8 by myself) so I never saw it. Finaly my saviour came in the form of Royal Jordanian Airlines.

I'm not really sure if there's much more to say about Unstoppable than I already have. There's a train - it's unstoppable. Densil Washington plays a guy who has worked all his life on the trains, imagine the kind of conflict of personalities that are likely to ensue when he's partnered with Chris Pine - a young green guy who got a job through family connections. Do they think they might clash? Maybe they'll have different outlooks on life? Maybe though, the experience of chasing down the runaway train will bring them together and show them how they're not really that different?

If Unstoppable sounds like a yawn-fest then you probably wont enjoy it. I think Densil Washington is a bit of a legend, so I'm quite happy to watch him run, jump and shout his way through a series of entertaining set pieces that just about anyone could have scripted. Take it or leave it as it is, Unstoppable wont be winning any awards any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment