Thursday 26 August 2010

Scott Pilgrim v The World

I'm not really sure where to start my review of Scott Pilgrim v The World. Commonly I start my reviews with either a plot synopsis or an anecdote about my evening at the cinema, but any plot synopsis for Scott Pilgrim seems so puerile when I think it out loud that I'm not sure I want to write it down (and I went to the cinema in Bracknell, so I have no anecdotes to tell). Here's an attempt at a plot synopsis: Scott Pilgrim is a bit of a nerdy guy who spots the girl of his dreams (literally) and is forced to battle her 7 evil exes in order to win her hand. Sounds pretty silly doesn't it?

It's not the kind of plot synopsis that would normally get me interested, but for two crucial points. Firstly, the film stars the fantastic Michael Cera as the lead. Secondly (and most crucial), it's directed by Edgar Wright. When Edgar Wright's on board you know that a film is going to go in a certain direction, you expect a script littered with geeky references and unconventionally directed with fast zooms, non-linear cuts and strange angles. It's the kind of directorial style that either grabs you or doesn't. When the film starts and the screen is filled with descriptions of Scott's flat and friends in caption format you either go with it or you don't. When a door bell rings and a massive RIIINNNGGG travels across the screen you either accept it or you don't. When we relentlessly cut between scene after scene of video-game-laden in jokes and midi music with a general disregard for standard linear structure you either go with it or you don't. I went with it, and I loved it.

The film is - in a similar way to Spaced - so unrealistic as to almost be set outside the normal world. Some examples then; Scott Pilgrim must battle against the '7 evil exes' of Romana Flowers if he is to be allowed to date her. Why? Don't know and don't care, don't ask such questions. No one ever asked why Bowser kidnapped the princess or why Mario has to jump on the heads of mushroom-like creatures to save her. When Scott defeats the first of the exes in one-on-one combat in the middle of one of his band's numerous punk renditions, he turns into a pile of coins and 'earns' 1000 points. Now if like me you grew up with Mario games and the like you'll probably find this hilarious, if not then you probably wont get it. Either way, set in the real world this film clearly isn't. Either way it also doesn't matter, Lord of the Rings is set in a fantasy world, so is the world of Scott Pilgrim. Be it a fantasy creation of the film's writers or one inside the deluded head of the main character, a fantasy it remains.

As enjoyable as I found the film with it's many references to video games culture, I have started to wonder if I perhaps only enjoyed it because of this. Is 'Scott Pilgrim' some kind of 'Sex and the City' for nerds, in that I only liked it because it's full of the nerdly equivalent of Gucci handbags and shopping for shoes - i.e. so crammed full of fanboy tropes that there's no time to sit back and spot the flaws. Only a day after seeing it I think it's too early to tell, and that a second viewing will help. I don't think I'm being bamboozled by the 8-bit music, Street Fighter style 'vs' battles and Scott's "leveling up" when he gets something, I'm fairly convinced that I'm enjoying a film about a genuinely endearing and charming character. However there are a few holes in the plot, such as there being no explanation whatsoever for Scott's sudden infatuation with Romana and very little of why she reciprocates (or in fact who she is at all - although she is more than just a prize for men to fight over as she gets to do some Tekken-esque martial arts herself).

Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. After all, the comic book visual style of the film is amazing and Edgar Wright certainly knows how to direct an action scene. Plus it's hugely funny, a moment where Scott stumbles into his flat causing his housemate to scream in vampiric agony "Turn off the light!" had me laughing for ages. Perhaps 'Scott Pilgrim v The World' is simply a brilliant video game geek fanboy genre movie, one that needs no further analysis. I think people will either enjoy the genre and get it or fail to see what the fuss is about and not. Personally I think it's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment